I have been experimenting with different beans and trying to find different ways to use them. One recipe that works well and gets rave reviews is the one for Bean Salad. I have received numerous requests for this and here it is. Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures.
If I have some time I cook them in the pressure cooker however the canned beans work just as well. If you do use the canned beans then make sure that you rinse them, let’s just say it makes for better digestion : )
As with most of my recipes the proportions are not exact and are subject to taste. In this case you can use as many different kinds of beans that you like, it works best if there are at least 3 different kinds of beans.
1 can of each, minimum 3 different kinds of beans e.g. kidney, black, chickpea, cannellini, garbanzo or navy beans
1 cup of frozen or canned corn
2 peppers chopped e.g. yellow, red, orange or green
1 ripe mango diced
1/2 red onion diced
1 tbs chives
2 green onion thinly sliced
3/4 cup mango juice
1 cup spicy salsa
1 tbs honey
2 tbs olive oil
salt/pepper/paprika to taste
1 tbs fresh herbs chopped e.g. basil, oregano, parsley
- In a medium bowl, toss together beans, corn, peppers, red onion, chives and green onion
- In a small bowl, whisk together mango juice, salsa, honey, olive oil and herbs
- Season with salt, pepper and paprika
- Add the dressing to the beans, toss to coat.
- Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours, or overnight.
It’s best to make this the day before as the flavors have time to blend. Enjoy.